Mines of El Dorado County

Mines of El Dorado County: “F”

The Fair Play (California Mohawk) mine was a placer gold, drift mine just to the east of the town of Fair Play, which is located in the southern part of El Dorado County. When it was active is unknown, however, it is known that at one time it was owned by the California Mohawk Mining Company.

The Fair Play Hill placer mine was located on 40 acres one mile southeast of Fair Play.

The Fairweather mine was a placer mine about one-half mile west of Cool.

One Falls mine consisted of 14 acres on the Mother Lode two miles south of Diamond Springs. In 1914 and again around 1934, a gold bearing quartz vein was developed by a 235-foot crosscut adit.

Another Falls mine was a placer mine consisting of 30 acres on Weber Creek, one mile south of Gold Hill.

The Faraday lode mine consisted of 16 acres on the Mother Lode one mile south of Placerville.

The Ferriera mine was the name of a placer gold mine one mile south of Newtown, near Pleasant Valley. It was prospected, and perhaps mined, in 1930 when a 135-foot shaft was sunk in search of gold bearing gravel.

Fink and Co. Was the name of a placer mine on 80 acres in Pleasant Valley.

The Flagstaff mine was a lode gold mine located a “few miles” north of Grizzly Flat that was active around 1888. Ore from the mine was treated on site in a 10-stamp mill.

Fleishhacker appears to be the name of mines at several locations along the South Fork of the American River. The locations are reported to have been in at least six different sections of land, from just upstream of Salmon Falls to the Coloma area.

The Flink was a lode gold mine two miles south of Georgetown on the eastern branch of the Mother Lode.

The Flynn was a placer mine located between Georgia Slide and Bottle Hill, north of Georgetown.

The Forni mine was a chromite mine located four miles east of Latrobe, most likely on the Forni Ranch. Like many other chromite mines in El Dorado County, it was only mined early in the 20th century, when chrome was needed for the war effort. The only records known indicate that during the year 1918, 1 ton of ore was produced.

The Fort Jim Consolidated mine was a placer drift mine on 40 acres, four miles southeast of Placerville near Weber Creek and Newtown. It was only active for a short period, from 1913 – 1915.

Fort Yuma was the name of a lode gold mine on Big Canyon Creek, two miles northeast of Brandon Corner (east of Latrobe) and four miles south of Shingle Springs. Active from 1890-1902 and again in 1938, this 2 to 4-foot vein of gold bearing quartz in Calaveras slate was developed by a 175 and 40-foot shafts and drifts.

The Fortuna Consolidated quartz mine was a lode gold mine on 63 acres of the Mother Lode one mile north east of Placerville. It consisted of five different mining locations, the Belle, Jackson, Logan, Fortuna and Brighton.

The Fossati (Tunnel) mine was a drift mine one and one-half miles south of Camino. It was active intermittently in 1930-36 when two channels of the ancient (Tertiary) South Fork of the American River, the lower being 25 to 200 feet wide, were developed by numerous adits and raises.

The Fraction quartz mine consisted of 5.57 acres on the Mother Lode, just north of Weber Creek and two miles South of Placerville.

The Francis Adams was a lode gold mine on 17 acres of the Mother Lode two miles south of Kelsey, near the South Fork of the American River.

The Francis M. McCommas placer claim consisted of 20 acres on Camp Creek, one mile south of Pleasant Valley.

Two and one-half miles northeast of Placerville was the Franklin (Tockey) mine, a placer gold drift mine on 80 acres that was active around 1896 and again in 1907. On a Tertiary channel of the South Fork of the American River, it was developed by a 1400-foot drift in the channel. The gold bearing gravel, once removed, was treated in a 10-stamp mill and then run through a 100-foot sluice.

The Frederick Bendfeldt claim was a placer claim consisting of 80 acres on and near Hangtown Creek at Smith Flat.

The Freeman mine was a chromite mine four miles southeast of Latrobe. In 1918, 40 tons of ore was removed from a chromite lens in serpentine by means of an open cut.

The Fred Irwin was the name of a placer mine two miles south of Kelsey, near the South Fork of the American River.

The Fremont Tunnel was the name of a placer mine on 40 acres northeast of Smith Flat.

The French (Nagler) mine was a seam gold mine just west of the town of Greenwood. Active prior to 1874 and again during the 1890s, it produced more than a half-million dollars in gold. The zone of quartz seams was up to 200 feet wide and worked by two methods: hydraulicking in a pit 80 feet deep and 600 feet long, and a shallow shaft. A second French mine was a placer mine consisting of 20 acres on Sapiago Creek, three miles southeast of Omo Ranch.

A gold dredge known as the French Corral Dredge operated a dragline at Brown’s Bar on the Middle Fork of the American River in 1946. This area, the boundary between El Dorado and Placer County, was very rich and heavily mined during the early days of the Gold Rush.

The French Creek mine was located three and one-half miles northeast of Latrobe. Opened in 1953, it was one of the newer lode gold mines in El Dorado County. By 1956, the latest information we have on this mine, a 30-foot inclined shaft had been developed. The ore body, which averaged 20 feet in width and extended for some 300 feet, contained both free gold and auriferous (gold containing) pyrite. The ore assay varied widely, from $2.80 to $60 of gold per ton, averaging $20 to $30.

One mile southwest of Spanish Dry Diggings was a seam gold mine know as the French Hill mine. Active around 1894, it was mined in open cuts and the material treated first in a 10-stamp mill and then in an 800-foot sluice. It was also developed by a 100-foot shaft and a 100-foot adit. At one time the property was also prospected for asbestos, but no records exist of any significant mining of that material that might have occurred.

The French Ravine hydraulic claim consisted of 90 acres on the South Fork of Weber Creek, just north of Newtown.

The curiously named Frog Pond and Marigold Consolidated mine was a lode gold mine one-half mile northwest of Garden Valley. Active intermittently from 1914-1927, it was developed by a 60-foot shaft and several drifts. The ore was treated on-site in a 2-stamp mill.

The Funny Bug (Pendelco) mine was a lode gold mine located one mile southwest of Gold Hill, on the north bank of Weber Creek. It was active intermittently from 1928 to 1942 when small amounts of both gold and copper were removed, and ores of lead and other metals were detected. In 1953 the property was leased to Carl Howe, of Placerville, who did some rehabilitation and surface work. The mine was developed by crosscuts on two levels from a 200-foot shaft.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “G” (Part 1)

The Gabriel Tunzi claim was a placer claim on 80 acres two and one-half miles southeast of Placerville.

The Gaddis Creek placer mine consisted of 160 acres of land on Gaddis Creek, a tributary of Slab Creek. It was near Sand Mountain and Pino Grande on the north side of the South Fork of the American River.

The Gallagher lode gold mine was located on 20.66 acres of isolated land two miles northeast of Greenwood. Another Gallagher mine, this time a placer mine, was located near Grizzly Flat.

The Gambling (also known as Gamblin’) mine was a lode gold mine located two miles southwest of Fair Play. Active 1915-18 and 1933-34, it consisted of a 18 to 30-inch vein of gold bearing quartz in granodiorite. It was developed by a 500-foot inclined shaft, considerable drifting, and an adit on the 90-foot level. The ore was treated in a 45 ton, 10-stamp mill with Frue vanners (a piece of machinery that concentrates the gold bearing materials invented by William Frue) and amalgam (mercury) plates.

The Ganong placer mine was located on 120 acres along the north side of the South Fork of the American River, about one mile downstream from Coloma.

The Gardner Consolidated (a consolidated mine is a group of mining claims operated together) mine was on 26.12 acres, one mile north of Placerville on the Mother Lode. Active prior to 1914, the deposit was a 5-foot vein of gold bearing quartz in slate. It as developed by a 400-foot crosscut adit and 500 feet of drifts.
One mile south of Volcanoville was the Garfield mine. Active around 1894, it was a lode gold mine developed by a 120-foot inclined shaft and 700-foot crosscut adit. There was another Garfield mine that was a lode gold claim on the west branch of the Mother Lode one mile east of Greenwood.

The Garfield and Excelsior Consolidated mine was a lode gold deposit one mile northeast of Greenwood. Also active around 1894, it consisted of 20-foot wide vein in slate developed by four crosscut adits, 200 to 400 feet long.

The Garibaldi Consolidated mine was located near Greenwood. Prospected around 1894, it was a 6-foot vein of gold bearing quartz in slate.

The Gem placer mine was located on 32.01 acres of land two miles north of Kelsey and east of Spanish Flat.

The General Dredging Corporation, based in Natoma (a town now under Lake Natoma behind Nimbus Dam), operated two dragline dredges (one and one-half and two cubic yards in capacity) near Coloma and near Shingle Springs during the years 1939-42.

The Geniac placer mine was located near Weber Creek, about one mile southeast of Placerville.

The Gentle Annie Consolidated lode gold mine was located on the Mother Lode about one mile north of Placerville. It consisted of 33.24 acres worked at two locations, the Bona Sorte and the Gentle Annie. These were also worked together with the adjacent Gross Consolidated and the Mierson Consolidated mining operations.

The George E. Williams claim was located on 140 acres one-half mile south of Placerville. From its location, it appears to be a placer claim, although it is adjacent to the Mother Lode.

The George M. Clark claim was a placer claim on 100 acres about two miles southeast of Placerville on a tributary of Weber Creek.

The George W. Vineyard claim was a placer claim on 80 acres two miles northeast of Placerville, near White Rock Creek.

The Georgia Hill Tunnel and Hydraulic placer mine was located two miles northeast of Placerville near White Rock Creek.

One of the largest seam gold mines in El Dorado County was a consolidation of the Bettie and Parsons Consolidated, Blue Rock, Mulvey Point and Pacific mining claims, known commonly as the Georgia Slide mine. It was located one and one-half miles north-northwest of Georgetown on the south side of Canyon Creek. Its name is derived from miners who came from the gold mines in the state of Georgia, near a town named Dahlonega, where gold had been discovered in 1828. It was these experienced Georgia miners who were some of the earliest in the gold fields of California and who brought with them, and shared with others, much of the needed mining knowledge and experience.
Originally the several claims making up the Georgia Slide mine were worked individually by hydraulicking from 1853 to 1895, using water from Canyon Creek, North Canyon and Dark Canyon. After the cessation of hydraulic mining, small amounts of ore were treated in several stamp mills on the property. In 1915 a 10-stamp mill was erected to rework the accumulated tailings. The total estimated output from the seam deposits is $3,000,000 and from the placer deposits in Oregon Canyon and Canyon Creek, which derive their gold from the seam deposits, another $3,500,000. It is estimated that 3,500,000 cubic yards of material was removed from the immense pit that still remains. The seams ranged from less than an inch to a foot or more in width, some swelling into lenses several feet thick. After hydraulic mining stopped, the banks were excavated by blasting and the debris was directed by water pressure into a sluice. Whenever quartz seams were encountered they were treated by hand mortaring. The pit is about 1000 feet long and about 600 feet wide at the top.

Three miles south of El Dorado on the Mother Lode was the German (Haeger or German Group) mine. Consisting of 11 acres, it was active around 1896 – 1900 and developed by a 500-foot inclined shaft. Ore was treated at the mine in a 10-stamp mill.

The Gibralter Group had a lode gold claim on the Mother Lode one-half mile southeast of Diamond Springs.

The Gignac mine was a placer gold drift mine at Texas Hill, two and one-half miles southeast of Placerville. It was active during the 1890s.

The Giltedge mine was a placer gold mine located two and one-half miles south of the town of Fair Play. Active in 1896 when an ancient river channel, capped with sand and clay, was developed by driving a 300-foot adit under the cap to get at the coarse gold on the bedrock.

One mile southeast of Greenwood was a seam gold mine also known as the Gilt Edge (Revenge Consolidated) mine. In the early days of the Gold Rush it was worked by hydraulicking.

The Ginafalio placer mine was near Salmon Falls on or near Sweetwater Creek and the South Fork of the American River.

The Givani Romelli claim consisted of 20 acres somewhere in the general area of Georgetown.

The Glenn mine was a chromite mine located 2 miles southeast of Latrobe. Although it was in an area rich in chromite, it was not mined but only prospected in 1918.

The Gloriana mine was a lode gold mine at Henry’s Diggings two miles north of Omo Ranch, in the southern part of El Dorado County. When it was last reported on in 1956, it had been “long idle.”

The Goethe placer mine was located on the South Fork of the American River, one mile downstream from Lotus.

The Gold Bug mine was a chromite mine four miles southeast of Latrobe on a ridge east of Big Canyon Creek. 16 tons of chromite ore was produced from this mine in 1918. This deposit of low-grade ore, 1 to 3-feet wide and 125 feet long, was developed by open cuts. Another Gold Bug mine (also known as the Canyon Creek Mine) was a placer gold mine two miles north of Georgetown, just north of Georgia Slide Mine. This was mostly a secondary mining operation since accumulated hydraulic mine tailings, seam deposit detritus and some virgin gravel were intermittently worked by several different operators from around 1896 to 1934. The material was extracted by draglines and sent through a trommel (screen) and sluices. A third Gold Bug mine, this time a lode gold mine, was located on 15.35 acres of land on the south side of Sand Mountain, about two miles west of Pino Grande on the north side of the South Fork of the American River.

The Gold Channel placer mine consisted of workings within six different sections of land about seven miles northeast of Georgetown and directly north of today’s Camp Chiquita.

The Gold Deposit lode gold mine was located on an undisclosed amount of land in the area of Kelsey.

The Gold Divide lode gold claim existed, but is not accurately described as to location in the records.

The Gold Dyke lode gold claim was located about one-half mile east of Sacramento County, north of Green Valley Road.

The Gold Hatchet placer mine was on or near the North Fork of Weber Creek, two miles east of Camino.

The Gold Hill placer mine was located on 80 acres one mile south of Coloma in the Gold Hill area.

The Gold Mountain lode gold mine was located on 17 acres of the Mother Lode at Nashville.

The Gold Note Consolidated lode gold mine consisted of several claims comprising 142 acres two miles to the southeast of Omo Ranch. This mine is another one that has been idle so long that not much is known about it.

The Gold Reef lode gold mine was part of a group of nine mines on about 150 acres of a small branch off the Mother Lode that were worked together, three miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Gold Seam lode gold claim was located just south of the Middle Fork of the American River, just east of Spanish Dry Diggings.

The Gold Slide placer mine consisted of 50 acres on the Middle Fork of the American River, just up stream from its convergence with the North Fork.

The Gold Stake lode gold claim was located on the Mother Lode, two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Gold Star lode gold claim was located on the Mother Lode, just south of Kelsey.

The Gold Top lode gold mine was located on 21.66 acres of the Mother Lode, two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Golden Center lode gold claim was located on the Mother Lode, two miles south of Diamond Springs.

The Golden Egg lode gold claim was located on the western branch of the Mother Lode, one mile east of Greenwood.

The Golden Fleece (Church) lode gold mine was located on 20.58 acres of the Mother Lode, two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Golden Horseshoe lode gold mine was located on the Mother Lode one mile northwest of Placerville.

The Golden State mine was a seam gold mine on 17.91 acres of land just west of Jones Hill and one mile east of Spanish Dry Diggings. The deposit consisted of numerous quartz bearing seams in a belt 200 to 300 feet wide. It was mined by open cut and the material then run through a sluice.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “G” (Part 2)

The Golden Trace (Bullard) mine was a lode gold mine located two and one-half miles north of Grizzly Flat by the North Fork of the Cosumnes River. Active prior to 1896, it consisted of a two to three foot vein of gold bearing quartz in granite that was developed by a 250-foot drift adit.

The Golden West lode gold claim was located near the South Fork of the American River, about four miles west of Gold Hill.

The Good Hope (New Virginia, Tiger) lode gold mine was located on 18.25 acres just north of the Cosumnes River, two miles southeast of Latrobe.

Two miles east of Diamond Springs on the Mother Lode was the Good Luck mine. Active only 1909-10, the deposit consisted of a 18-inch vein of gold bearing quartz that was developed by a 250-foot shaft along with 200 and 300-foot adits. The ore was treated on-site in a five-stamp mill.

The Gopher-Boulder mine was on the Mother Lode, one mile northwest of Kelsey. From the several claims consolidated in this mine, the Gopher, Boulder, Dalmatia and several others, $15,600 in gold was produced in 1858 and $40,000 in the 1880s. The mine was later prospected in 1931 and again in 1934-36. The gold was in two veins in slate and greenstone, named the Gopher and Boulder, that were as wide as 50 feet. The ore ranged in value from $2.50 to $6 per ton and occasionally up to $16 per ton. The mine was developed by a 260-foot inclined shaft with levels at 50-foot intervals, a 200-foot drift adit, 850-foot crosscut adit and open cuts. The ore was treated in a huge 20-stamp mill, powered by a mine owned electric power plant on Rock Creek and water brought in from the South Fork of the American River through 1000 feet of 11 inch steel pipe.

The Gordon mine was a chromite mine four miles north of Shingle Springs. In 1918, 31 tons of chromite was produced from this mine.

The Gouge Eye placer mine was located on 20 acres of land two miles west and slightly north of Pollock Pines. There are no other mining claims shown within a mile of this one.

The Graham placer mine was located about one mile west of Grizzly Flat. There are a number of placer mines in this area strung along what appears to be an ancient riverbed.

The Grand Victory mine was on Squaw Creek, four miles southeast of Diamond Springs. First worked in 1857 it was one of El Dorado County’s larger lode gold mines. In 1879 the ore was being treated in a five-stamp mill and, nine years later, because extensive open cuts and underground workings had been developed, the mill had been expanded to 40 and then 50-stamps. In 1894 a cyanidization (a process of extracting gold by the use of a cyanide compound) plant was added and operated until 1901, when the mine was shut down. In the 1930s considerable prospecting and sampling was done at the mine and a number of drifts and crosscuts were driven. The gold was contained in quartz ore bodies as wide as 100 feet that were developed by a 500-foot drift adit and open cuts as wide as 135 feet and 500 feet in length. About 450 feet in from the adit portal (opening) was a winze with levels at 100, 200 and 300 feet. In addition, there were several thousand feet of drifts and crosscuts.

The Graner placer mine was located on 60 acres one and one-half miles south of Coloma in the Gold Hill area.

The Gravel Hill placer mine was located on or near the Middle Fork of the American River, three miles east of Spanish Dry Diggings.

The Gray and Bosquit placer mine was located on 34 acres about one-half mile east of Rescue.

Three miles northwest of Shingle Springs was the Gray (Old Gray) Mine. A lode gold mine active about 1894, it consisted of a vein of gold bearing quartz one to three feet wide that was developed by a 100-foot shaft and drift.

Near Volcanoville was the Gray Eagle Cliff Mine that was active about 1894. At this location an ancient river channel was worked through an adit. The gold containing gravel was well cemented together. Another Gray Eagle mine and mill site, this time a lode gold mine, was located on 13.2 acres of the Mother Lode, just south of Kelsey.

In 1931, the Great Bend Corporation, based in Lotus, mined gold-bearing gravels along the South Fork of the American River, north of Lotus with a gasoline powered shovel.

The Great Crevis placer mine was located on 57.60 acres of land on the Middle Fork of the American River, two miles north of Cool. It later became the site of the Pacific Portland Cement Company’s Mountain Quarry. The site was acquired by the government as a part of the Auburn Dam land.

The Great Eastern and Folsom placer mine was located on 228.14 acres one and one-half miles south of Placerville, on the north side of Weber Creek.

The Green claim was a chromite mine two miles southeast of Georgetown. It was active in 1918 when 17 tons of 51 percent chromite ore was produced. The chromite pods were developed by a 15-foot shaft and drifts.

One and one-half miles south of Volcanoville, near Otter Creek (east of Georgetown) was the Green mine. A chromite mine originally worked for gold, it was active in 1917-18 when more than 110 tons of chromite was produced and again in 1942 when 64 tons was produced. The deposit consisted of a chromite lens up to 7 feet wide and was developed by a 350-foot adit, 40-foot shaft, along with many raises and crosscuts.

The Greenhorn Dredging Company, from Auburn, operated a two cubic yard dragline dredge on the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River near Youngs (on Mt. Aukum Road, between Pleasant Valley and Somerset) from 1940-42. In 1947 they would move the dredge to the Barkley property.

The Green Mountain mine was a placer gold drift mine on the south side of Texas Hill, two and one-half miles southeast of Placerville. The Green Mountain channel, a tributary of the Tertiary South Fork of the American River was mined through a 1700-foot adit.

The Green Valley lode gold mine was located on 16.08 acres two miles west of Rescue.

At the town of Greenwood was a lode gold mine appropriately known as the Greenwood Mine. Intermittently active from 1937 – 40, it was a deposit of gold in quartz veins over an area some 200-feet in width. The ore was mined by the open pit method and then run through a ball mill (a rotating cylindrical mill containing large steel balls) and then processed by cyanidization. Other lode gold mines also with the name Greenwood were to the west and northwest of this one.

The Grey’s Flat placer and lode gold mine was located one mile south of Rescue.

One of the larger lode gold mines on the Mother Lode was the Griffith Consolidated, composed of eight claims (41.31 acres) located one-half mile south of Diamond Springs. Originally worked in the 1850s, it was actively worked from 1888-90 and in 1896 and 1903. The deposit was a five to 12-foot vein of gold bearing quartz nearly a mile in length that yielded from $4.25 to $8 per ton, although in a few areas it yielded as much as $65 per ton. It was developed by three shafts, 700, 253 and 150-feet in depth and numerous drifts. The ore, once removed, was treated in a five-stamp mill.

The Grit (Liddicoat, Spanish Dry Diggings) mine was located at Spanish Dry Diggings, four miles north of Greenwood, on the north end of the west branch of the Mother Lode. This mine was highly productive around 1852 and between 1860 and 1867, yielding $100,000 in gold. In August of 1865 a mass of crystallized gold weighing 101.4 Troy ounces was found on the property. It is called the Fricot “nugget” and was sent to France for the Paris Exposition in 1878. It is presently on display at the California State Mining and Mineral Museum at the county fairgrounds in Mariposa, CA. It is the largest remaining intact mass of crystalline gold from 19th century California.
From 1919 – 1922 the mine was active again, increasing the total value of gold recovered to $300,000. From 1945 – 52 an additional $34,000 was produced. In the early days of mining, the upper 125 – 150 feet of the deposit, which consists of three seams of gold bearing quartz, up to 20 feet wide, was decomposed enough to be mined by hydraulicking. The yield from this operation was from $2 to $3 per cubic yard of worked material. All of the mining since 1945 took place on the west vein which was developed by an 800-foot southeast drift adit. About 400 feet in from the adit portal, crosscuts were driven 70-feet west and 40-feet east. About 275 feet in from the adit portal the mine was stoped (mined upward, using gravity to drop the ore downward) for a distance of about 125 feet until the hydraulicked pit was reached. At the mill, the ore was crushed and milled and then concentrated. Concentrates were sold to the Empire-Star gold mine at Grass Valley.

The Griggs Ranch placer mine was located one-half mile southeast of Placerville.

The Grizzly Flat Deposit was a tungsten mine on Sturdevant Ridge three miles northwest of Grizzly Flat. The deposit, which was in three separate ownerships, was discovered about 1950 and consisted of discontinuous bodies of scheelite (a tungsten ore) in a zone about one mile long and up to 600 feet wide. There is no record of production from this deposit although in the mid-1950s one of the owners, the Sciaroni brothers (Americo and Columbus) were concentrating small amounts of ore a small pilot mill and stockpiling the concentrates.

The Grizzly Flat mine was a drift and hydraulic mine at Grizzly Flat, It was active in the 1880s, 1896 and 1914-20, when a ancient river channel on bedrock was first worked by hydraulicking and later by a 550-foot drift.

The Grizzly Gulch placer mine was located in Grizzly Gulch, a small tributary of Spanish Creek, about two miles northeast of Mt. Aukum.

The Gross Consolidated and Van Hooker and Gross lode gold mine was located on the Mother Lode, one mile north of Placerville. It consisted of mining operations at three locations: No. 1, No. 2 and Van Hooker.

The Grouse Gulch mine was a lode gold mine one and one-half miles west of Grizzly Flat. The deposit was a vein of gold bearing quartz in granite that ranged from one-half to five feet in width. It was developed by 100, 80 and 50-foot shafts, many drifts, and a 200-foot drain tunnel to remove groundwater.

The Grover placer mine was located on 40 acres on or near Spanish Creek, one mile south of Fair Play.

The Guildford (Poverty Point) mine was on the Mother Lode two miles north of Placerville. Another large mine, it was active from 1912-17, when more than $200,000 in gold was produced; intermittently active from 1920-25 and again from 1931-32. Mined were two parallel veins in slate, 200 and 400 feet long, averaging five feet in width. The ore averaged $4 to $5 per ton while the auriferous pyrite concentrate ranged from $40 to $88 per ton. The mine was developed by four drift adits, 500, 600, 700 and 1500 feet long. The mined ore was treated in a 15-stamp mill with Wilfley tables and Frue vanners (concentrators).

The Guadalupe lode gold mine was located on 20.61 acres of the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles north of Kelsey.

The Gutenberger Mine was an iron mine five miles east of Diamond Springs. Not much more than prospecting occurred at this mine, where the iron ore hematite was found.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “H”

The Hall Consolidated was a lode gold mine on 17.56 acres just north of Placerville.

The Halleck mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode just north of Placerville.

The interestingly named Hamburger mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode near Nashville, two miles north of the Amador County line.

The Happy Flat mine was a 100 acre placer mine one-half mile north of Garden Valley.

The Hard Cider mine was a placer claim two miles south of Volcanoville and two miles east of Bottle Hill.

The Hard Scrabble mine was a 135.85 acre placer mine just southeast of Smith Flat.

The Hardscratch mine was a lode gold mine located two miles west of Grizzly Flat. The mine was active around 1896 when a vein of gold bearing quartz was developed by a 120-foot crosscut adit, 100-foot drift and a 26-foot shaft.

The Harmon Group included a number of claims on the Mother Lode in what is now the northern part of the City of Placerville. These included the Van Hooker, Young Harmon, Old Harmon, Gross No. 1 and No. 2 and the Eureka claims. When visited by the District Mining Engineer, C. A. Logan, in the early 1930s most work was being done on the Van Hooker claim, where an old adit was reopened and extended, having a total length of 1200 feet from portal to north face with a vertical depth of 200 feet along the vein. The ore occurs as a stringer lead and lenses of quartz in Mariposa clay slate, both having been greatly crushed by movement along the courses of the vein, which has a width from 2 to 12 feet. Ore was processed by a mill of 10 light stamps and one concentrator with a capacity of 24 tons daily. The ore yielded $7.25 to $27 a ton.
The Old Harmon portion of the workings was 560 feet deep in 1931 and there were plans to reopen it to the 115 feet were ore had been found. This mine, which had been worked between 1870 and 1890 as a part of the True Consolidated Mining and Milling Company’s holdings, had produced considerable gold, some estimates being as high as a quarter of a million dollars. In 1898 both the Old Harmon and Young Harmon passed into the hands of the Placerville Gold Mining Company which had done little with them as of 1931. The vein running through the two Harmon claims averages 15 feet wide and in places is 45 to 70 feet wide.

The Harms Pit, in Coon Hollow one mile south of Placerville, was an aggregate mine. Here, the Harms Brothers Construction Company of Sacramento operated a large, portable rock crushing and sizing plant that reduced the hydraulic mine tailings and andesitic (volcanic) detritus found at this location to a size smaller than three-quarters of an inch. This material was then fed into a portable hot-mix (asphalt) plant, the product of which was used to surface Highway 50 in Placerville.

On what is called the Fairplay channel of ancient gravel, one and one-half miles south of the town of Fair Play, was the Harnish mine. In 1896 the channel, 4 to 5 feet thick, was developed by an adit.

The Harold mine was an undeveloped prospect for soapstone (used in wood stoves and sculpting), four miles from Shingle Springs.

The Harris mine was a placer mine just south of Placerville.

The Harrison mine was a 20.65 acre lode gold claim on the Mother Lode, just north of Placerville.

The Hart mine was a seam gold mine on 40 acres that was located between Manhattan and Empire Creeks, one mile north of Garden Valley. It was originally worked by hydraulicking. Later, it was prospected to determine the feasibility of erecting a mill, and, in 1930, one was erected. The mine operated intermittently until 1939. The average gold recovery of ore mined from this property in the 1930’s was around $4 per ton. The mine was developed by an open pit 175 feet long, 50 feet wide and 40 feet deep; two drift adits and two shafts, 100 and 300 feet in depth. The ore was treated in an 8-stamp mill.

The Havillah Group were a series of lode gold mines on the Mother Lode in Nashville. They are more commonly known as the Nashville mines and will be discussed under that name.

The Hayden mine was a soapstone quarry one and three-quarter miles south of Shingle Springs. The Industrial Minerals and Chemical Company mined soapstone at this location on and off for many years, trucking it to the company’s plant in Florin were it was ground for use in insecticides. The soapstone was quarried from an open cut about 100 feet long and 40 feet wide, with a 20-foot face at the north end (1956 figures).

The Hayward (Indian Diggings) mine was a drift and hydraulic placer gold mine at Indian Diggings. Around 1896 a 275-foot bank with 159 feet of gravel overlying limestone bedrock, was mined.

One of the large lode gold mines which just recently closed was the Hazel Creek mine, located fifteen miles east of Placerville and two miles southeast of Pacific House on Hazel Creek. Mining started in 1948 when the vein of gold bearing quartz was discovered in a logging road cut by one of the tree fallers. Soon afterwards an adit was driven and a mill erected. The deposit consists of principally two parallel veins that are as far apart as 40 feet, but converge near the adit portal (opening). The west vein is 5 to 6 feet wide, the east vein 5 to 12 feet wide and the two are connected by a cross-vein, several feet wide. The ore consists of native gold with considerable amounts of galena (lead ore) and auriferous (gold bearing) pyrite. Large amounts of high-grade ore have been removed from the area where the two principal veins converge and also where the cross-vein and the east vein intersect. By 1956, the mine had been developed by a 500-foot drift adit on the west vein and a 130-foot inclined two-compartment shaft sunk near the adit portal. The 100-foot level, at that time, was connected to the adit level by raises and stopes. The free gold was amalgamated (combined with mercury) and retorted, the resulting “sponge” gold being then sent to a smelter. The sulfides (mostly pyrites) were concentrated by a series of steps and the resultant material, assaying as high as $500 per ton in gold and silver (remember, gold was only $35 per ounce, and silver less than $1 in 1956) was also sent elsewhere for processing. Because of the amount of galena found, lead was also mined at this location.

The Helemar mine was a chromite mine located five miles southwest of Latrobe. It was active during 1944-45 when 57 tons of ore, containing 38 percent chromite, was produced.

The Helen mine was an isolated lode gold claim about six miles east of Garden Valley.

The Henness dredge was a dragline, placer gold mining operation in Garden Valley’s Manhattan Creek during the years 1946-47. The drag line would dig the gravel and drop it into the loading chute of the dredge. The dredge would work the gravel and separate the gold, then dump the tailings (or waste) back into the waterway.
Jerry Henness, who lives in Pollock Pines, recalls his family moving from Whittier to El Dorado County in 1946 when he was six. After his dad, Marion Henness, finished dredging in Garden Valley, he moved the dredge to the American River, where Folsom Lake is now located. From there he became involved in the lumber business, which resulted in his later involvement with the above Hazel Creek Mine.

The Henrietta mine was a lode gold mine on 13.85 acres of the Mother Lode near Weber Creek, one mile south of Placerville.

The Henry Bacon mine was a placer mine consisted of 330 acres on the North Fork of Weber Creek, one-half mile south of Camino.

The Henry Pass mine was a placer mine on 80 acres one mile east of Diamond Springs.

The Henry Waldrick mine was a lode gold claim on 56.27 acres of the Mother Lode north of Kelsey at Spanish Flat.

Two miles southeast of Georgetown was a chromite mine known as the Henser mine. In 1918, 13 tons of chromite was produced from this deposit.

The Herman H. Frers mine was a placer claim on 20 acres one mile west of Rescue.

The Herrick and Co. mine was a very isolated placer mine on 60 acres five miles east of Garden Valley.

The Herzig mine was a placer mine on the South Fork of the American River, about one mile down stream from Lotus. The ranch at this location was owned by the grandparents of Al Herzig, the former Placerville Fire Chief. He did not recall a mine by that name on the property, but did recall that in the late 1930s the entire South Fork of the American River had been commercially dredged all the way up to Coloma.

The Hess mine was a placer mine along Sweetwater Creek near Salmon Falls.

One mile northeast of Indian Diggings (about one mile south of Omo Ranch, nine miles east of Mt. Aukum, in the southern part of El Dorado County) was a lode gold mine known as the Hidden Treasure mine. Little is known about it since it has been idle for many decades.

The High Tunnel mine was a drift mine three miles northeast of Placerville, just north of White Rock Canyon. In the early days of mining and again in 1926, this ancient channel of the South Fork of the American River was mined. It was developed by a 500-ft adit.

The Hill mine was a lode gold mine one-mile south of Gold Hill. It consisted of 12.60 acres and was adjacent to another mine known as the Hill Quartz Mine and Mill Site.

The Hill, Seymour mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, one mile east of Nashville.

The Hillside Extension and Hillside Extension No. 3 were two lode gold mines two and one-half miles southeast of the town of El Dorado. They consisted of nearly 100 acres and were operated together with seven other nearby claims, all of which were on a small branch of the Mother Lode.

The Hill-Top Chrome mine was located one mile southwest of Volcanoville. In 1918, the mine produced 7 tons of chromite ore. It was developed by a 22-foot shaft.

The Hinchman Gold and Silver Mining Co. operated a lode gold mine on “Johnson’s North Canon (canyon), about seven miles east from the city,” according to an article in the March 12, 1864 “Mountain Democrat” reporting on the dedication of their new stamp mill.
This mine does not show up on any of the maps or in any of the books used to prepare this list, but the Democrat story says that “The company have driven a tunnel into the hill about 400 feet and find every indication of richness through its entire length, and believe the rock will yield from $50 to $75 per ton.” Only six months later, on September 17, 1864, the stamp mill burned to the ground. “The fire is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary,” another article in the “Mountain Democrat” stated.
The Hinchman Mining Co. was incorporated in San Francisco on June 1, 1863 and put up for sale 1600 shares of stock at $10 per share. According to the El Dorado County Recorder’s Office, one day later, on June 2, 1863, the company acquired property in El Dorado County from several people, including a Hiram Hinchman. The president of the company was John Gallagher and the secretary N. G. French.

One mile to the northwest of Pleasant Valley was a drift mine called the Hinds (Los Angeles) mine. It was a bench gravel deposit containing placer gold that was discovered in 1927 and active in the early 1930’s. It was developed by a 48-foot shaft and a 200-foot northwest drift.

The Hines-Gilbert mine was on the north end of the western branch of the Mother Lode, one mile northwest of Spanish Dry Diggings on the American River in both El Dorado and Placer counties. Active 1921-28 and 1934, it was again prospected in 1954. The deposit consists of two gold bearing quartz veinlets about 200 feet apart that were developed by an open cut 150 feet in width and a 450-foot adit. The ore, which varied greatly in grade, was treated in a 10-stamp mill which, along with a three-drill compressor, was run by water power from Canyon Creek with a 600 foot fall.

The Hodge and Lemon mine was a seam gold mine at the north end of Quartz Hill, one mile north of Placerville. Mining was done in a 40-foot deep open pit.

Five miles southeast of Latrobe was the Hoff mine. Another chromite mine worked only during World War I, it produced 107 tons of 28% to 33% chromite. The deposit was a chromite lens 60 feet long that was developed by an open cut.

The Holly mine was a small lode gold mine on the Mother Lode in Placerville that was only active in 1918.

The Holmes mine was a placer mine on 79.80 acres one mine north of Georgetown near Georgia Slide.

The Homestake mine was a lode gold mine west of Spanish Dry Diggings and south of the Middle Fork of the American River.

The Homestead Mining Co. operated a 40 acre placer mine three and one-half miles north of Georgetown and one mile northeast of Bottle Hill, near or on Otter Creek. It was active for only a very short time, 1912-13.

A second Homestead mine was a copper mine three miles west of Greenwood. Both copper and gold were removed from a 14-foot vein.

The Hook and Ladder mine was a placer mine just south of Highway 50 and east of Smith Flat.

The Hoosier Gulch dredge was a placer gold mining operation by the Hoosier Gulch Placers Company, using a dragline dredge in Logtown Ravine (south of the townsite of El Dorado) in 1939 and near Shingle Springs in 1945 and 1947.

The Hoosier Gulch Placers Company also operated a dragline dredge near the Pillikin mine, six miles to the southwest of the town of Pilot Hill. Here, during the year 1942, they removed chromite-bearing river gravel from a location known as Granite Bar.

The Hope mine was the southern extension of the Mount Pleasant Mine, one mile west of Grizzly Flat. The Mount Pleasant Mine was the richest lode gold mine in the Grizzly Flat area.

Another Hope mine was a placer gold mine on an ancient river channel northeast of Volcanoville. It was in operation some time prior to 1892.

The Horatio L. Robinson mine was a placer claim on 40 acres just east of Smith Flat.

The Horseshoe Bar mine was a placer mine on 123.88 acres of land on the Rubicon River two miles north of Volcanoville.

The Horseshoe Dredging Company operated a dragline dredge on the North Fork of the Cosumnes River from 1938-40, near Youngs (on Mt. Aukum Road between Pleasant Valley and Somerset).

The Horseshoe Flat mine was a placer gold drift mine two and one-half miles east of Newtown. It has been long idle.

The Hoskins mine was a lode gold mine on the west branch of the Mother Lode, just east of Greenwood.

The Hugh B. Newell mine was a placer mine on 80 acres adjacent to Thompson Hill Road about one-half mile east of Gold Hill.

The Hume mine was a placer mine on or near the South Fork of the American River, one and one-half miles down stream from Lotus.

The Humiston mine was a lode gold claim just north of the Cosumnes River five and one-half miles east of the Sacramento County line

Hummingbird Ranch was the name of a serpentine quarry one mile west of Garden Valley. Serpentine, used as road metal (surfacing material) was mined by the El Dorado County Road Department (now Department of Transportation). The material was excavated by bulldozers and loaded into dump trucks. The quarry was an open cut 200 feet long, 30 feet wide and 10 feet deep.

The Humphrey mine was a lode gold mine two and one-half miles southwest of Fair Play. The deposit consisted of a 16 to 24-inch vein containing pyrite and galena. It was developed by a 15-foot shaft and 70-foot drift.

The Hunt mine was a lode gold mine somewhere between Pilot Hill and Cool.

The Hunton mine was a placer claim two miles east of Volcanoville.

The Hunton and Green mine was a placer mine at the same location. It may have been a consolidation of the Hunton and an unidentified mine known as the Green.

The Hustler mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Hutchinson and Woodburn mine was a placer gold drift mine at Slug Gulch, three miles northeast of the town of Fair Play. It was only active in 1926.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article