The Nail mine was a lode gold mine three miles northeast of Fair Play near the heavily mined Slug Gulch area.
The Nancy Lee mine was a lode gold mine on the western branch of the Mother Lode, one mile northeast of Garden Valley on the west side of Greenwood Road.
The Nashville (Havillah, Tennessee-Nashville and several extensions of these) mine was actually a group of lode gold mines on the Mother Lode at Nashville, near Highway 49, about two miles north of the Amador County line. Consisting of two claims of 27.71 and 20.29 acres, it is said by some to be the first quartz workings in California, while others say the first in El Dorado County. This mine was first worked in 1851 and produced some $150,000 in gold from shallow workings. From 1868-71 and again around 1880 significant development work was done at the mine and around 1894 a 20-stamp mill was erected to treat the ore. From 1903-06 the mine was reactivated and from 1934 to 1936 the mine was worked by the Montezuma-Apex Mining Company, who also worked the Montezuma-Apex mine about 1000 feet to the north. The vein of gold-bearing quartz varied in width from five to twenty feet and was assayed in the 1930s at five dollars of gold per ton of ore. The mine was developed by a 1200-foot inclined shaft with levels at each 100 feet. At the 1200 foot level it was connected with the Montezuma mine 1000 feet to the north. The last work done in the mine was at the 200-foot level, south of the shaft and the 1000-foot level, north of the shaft. At the 1000-foot level an ore shoot eighty feet long and six to fifteen feet wide was mined.
The National Gold Ore Co. operated several placer mines in three different sections of land about two miles west of Volcanoville on the Middle Fork of the American River.
The famous Natomas Co., which ran huge dredges all through the greater Sacramento area, had a placer mining operation in El Dorado County, three miles northeast of Salmon Falls on the North Fork of the American River.
The Negro Flat mine was a placer gold mine consisting of 160 acres three miles due east of Smith Flat and adjacent to the former railroad from Placerville to Camino. The name of this mine and the following mine may be different names for the same mine.
The Negro Hill mine was a placer gold mine that was in operation many years ago. It was located three miles to the northeast of Placerville at Negro Hill. The deposit of gold-bearing, ancient river gravel at this location was mined by drifting and hydraulicking.
The Nelson Dredge was a dragline dredge operated near Shingle Springs in 1946. The operator was one R.N. Nelson from Sacramento.
The New Chance lode gold mine and New Chance Mine and Mill site were located adjacent to each other two miles south of Shingle Springs on French Creek.
Two and one-half mines north of Greenwood was the New Eldorado (New El Dorado) mine, a lode gold mine on the western branch of the Mother Lode. It was active around 1894 and produced specimen gold (gold that was more valuable when left as mined, rather than being melted into bullion). It was developed by an adit of unreported length.
The New England mine was a lode gold mine one mile north of Georgetown on the east branch of the Mother Lode.
The New Era mine was a lode gold mine on 11.25 acres of the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles northwest of Placerville.
One-half mile northwest of Greenwood on the western branch of the Mother Lode was a seam gold mile known as the New Garibaldi. The deeply weathered vein of gold-bearing quartz was up to eight-feet wide and about 400-feet in length. It was developed by a 170-foot crosscut adit and shallow shafts. The ore was treated on-site in a 25-ton Kinkaid mill.
The New Petaluma mine was a lode gold mine on 8.873 acres of the Mother Lode, two miles south of the town of El Dorado.
The Nicola Fosatti mine was a placer gold claim on 89 acres, one mile due south of Camino just north of Weber Creek.
The Niles Reinhold mine was a placer gold mine five miles south of Pilot Hill on Weber Creek, about one-half mile above its convergence with the South Fork of the American River.
The No. 2 (Edmunds) Mine was a lode gold mine located one mine northwest of the town of Rescue. It was only active for a short time in 1938 when 100 tons of ore was mined. The deposit consisted of a two-foot wide vein of gold-bearing quartz that contained high-grade gold in pockets.
The Noble mine was a placer mine on 184.77 acres in an isolated location two miles east of Georgetown, just southeast of Hotchkiss Hill.
The Noble Electric Steel Company operated a chrome mill one mile southwest of Salmon Falls during World War I. The ore from several local chromium mines was crushed, fine-ground and concentrated on Wilfley tables and a Senn concentrator, before being sent to a smelter.
The Nonpareil Quartz and Gravel Mining Co. had a placer gold operation on 115 acres that was located two miles southwest of Fair Play and two miles northeast of Mt. Aukum.
Four miles south of the township of El Dorado and one-half mile east of the Mother Lode was a copper mine known as the Noonday mine. In 1900 it was described as having a 15 foot shaft and several open cuts. It became highly active from 1900-05, when to the shallow workings was added a shaft 200 feet deep with several hundred feet of drifts. In 1953 the mine was leased from Placerville businessman George Fausel by the Noonday Copper Mining Company. This company rehabilitated the shaft and added about 100 feet of new drifts. Ultimately, the shaft would reach 230 feet with working levels at 100 and 200 feet, and 350 feet of drifts. The mine was shut down in 1954 and then reopened for a short time in 1956 when five men were employed to do the mining. The seven-foot wide vein of iron and copper sulfides contained from five to nine percent copper (some pockets as high as 25 percent) with some silver and gold, when mined in the early part of the 20th century. During its last years of operation, the copper content in the ore dropped to four percent or less. Much of the ore was treated at the Volo mill, which was located at the Shaw mine, four miles west of Placerville and just north of today’s Highway 50.
Northerly’s 5-cent Hill mine was a placer mine on about 100 acres of land in an isolated location about two miles northwest of Greenwood.
The North Extension mine was a lode gold mine on 20.656 acres one mile northwest of Grizzly Flat. This area has a continuous line of mines for about four miles along a major group of quartz veins trending from the southwest to the northeast. If this mine was an extension of another mine, that is not noted in the records.
The North Extension of the Montezuma mine was a lode gold mine on 8.358 acres of the Mother Lode one mile north of Nashville on the north side of the North Fork of the Cosumnes River.
The North Extension of the Rocky Bend mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles south of Garden Valley.
The North St. Lawrence mine was lode gold mine on the Mother Lode one mile southeast of Garden Valley.
The North Star mine was a lode gold mine on 20.65 acres located one and one-half miles northeast of Shingle Springs and two and one-half miles due west of the town of El Dorado.