Only a short distance to the east of the Skinner Winery, on the western end of White Oak Flat, was a large red brick store built by George D. H. Meyers, a miner from Tennessee Creek. Years later John Wing purchased the property and, after his death, his widow Louisa ran a roadhouse in conjunction with the store, which was commonly known as Wing’s Store. Nearby, James Wing, her son, operated a toll road paralleling the county road.
One mile to the east, on the north side of the road, stood the White Oak Springs Hotel. Opened in 1852, it was purchased by Arthur Litten in 1859. Across from it was a brick house that was originally owned by Constantine Hicks (New York House owner) and later, Louisa Wing’s brother, Aylmer Pelton.
Much of the history of the White Oak Springs Hotel is lost except for an April 28, 1852 altercation between an employee of the hotel, James Hewlett and a man named Abner Spencer. Hewlett is said to have stabbed Spencer, who died the next day. On the spot of the crime, a citizens’ committee tried Hewlett and convicted him of murder. Within an hour of the crime he was hanged from a nearby oak tree.
Just beyond the White Oak Springs Hotel was the original location of the town of Rescue (later moved to Rose Springs), where Mrs. Pearle Wing managed a later version of Wing’s Store.
A little over a quarter mile to the east, on the south side of the road and on the east bank of Kelly Creek (just west of the future location of the Tennessee Schoolhouse) was the Kelly Creek House. It was owned by an immigrant from Scotland named William Harriett.
Mr. Harriett operated the business for over fourteen years. When he died, his wife Agnes married August Baring (also known as Frederick Riemer) and the couple ran the business for several more years.