Monthly Archives: May 2012

Mines of El Dorado County: “G” (Part 2)

The Golden Trace (Bullard) mine was a lode gold mine located two and one-half miles north of Grizzly Flat by the North Fork of the Cosumnes River. Active prior to 1896, it consisted of a two to three foot vein of gold bearing quartz in granite that was developed by a 250-foot drift adit.

The Golden West lode gold claim was located near the South Fork of the American River, about four miles west of Gold Hill.

The Good Hope (New Virginia, Tiger) lode gold mine was located on 18.25 acres just north of the Cosumnes River, two miles southeast of Latrobe.

Two miles east of Diamond Springs on the Mother Lode was the Good Luck mine. Active only 1909-10, the deposit consisted of a 18-inch vein of gold bearing quartz that was developed by a 250-foot shaft along with 200 and 300-foot adits. The ore was treated on-site in a five-stamp mill.

The Gopher-Boulder mine was on the Mother Lode, one mile northwest of Kelsey. From the several claims consolidated in this mine, the Gopher, Boulder, Dalmatia and several others, $15,600 in gold was produced in 1858 and $40,000 in the 1880s. The mine was later prospected in 1931 and again in 1934-36. The gold was in two veins in slate and greenstone, named the Gopher and Boulder, that were as wide as 50 feet. The ore ranged in value from $2.50 to $6 per ton and occasionally up to $16 per ton. The mine was developed by a 260-foot inclined shaft with levels at 50-foot intervals, a 200-foot drift adit, 850-foot crosscut adit and open cuts. The ore was treated in a huge 20-stamp mill, powered by a mine owned electric power plant on Rock Creek and water brought in from the South Fork of the American River through 1000 feet of 11 inch steel pipe.

The Gordon mine was a chromite mine four miles north of Shingle Springs. In 1918, 31 tons of chromite was produced from this mine.

The Gouge Eye placer mine was located on 20 acres of land two miles west and slightly north of Pollock Pines. There are no other mining claims shown within a mile of this one.

The Graham placer mine was located about one mile west of Grizzly Flat. There are a number of placer mines in this area strung along what appears to be an ancient riverbed.

The Grand Victory mine was on Squaw Creek, four miles southeast of Diamond Springs. First worked in 1857 it was one of El Dorado County’s larger lode gold mines. In 1879 the ore was being treated in a five-stamp mill and, nine years later, because extensive open cuts and underground workings had been developed, the mill had been expanded to 40 and then 50-stamps. In 1894 a cyanidization (a process of extracting gold by the use of a cyanide compound) plant was added and operated until 1901, when the mine was shut down. In the 1930s considerable prospecting and sampling was done at the mine and a number of drifts and crosscuts were driven. The gold was contained in quartz ore bodies as wide as 100 feet that were developed by a 500-foot drift adit and open cuts as wide as 135 feet and 500 feet in length. About 450 feet in from the adit portal (opening) was a winze with levels at 100, 200 and 300 feet. In addition, there were several thousand feet of drifts and crosscuts.

The Graner placer mine was located on 60 acres one and one-half miles south of Coloma in the Gold Hill area.

The Gravel Hill placer mine was located on or near the Middle Fork of the American River, three miles east of Spanish Dry Diggings.

The Gray and Bosquit placer mine was located on 34 acres about one-half mile east of Rescue.

Three miles northwest of Shingle Springs was the Gray (Old Gray) Mine. A lode gold mine active about 1894, it consisted of a vein of gold bearing quartz one to three feet wide that was developed by a 100-foot shaft and drift.

Near Volcanoville was the Gray Eagle Cliff Mine that was active about 1894. At this location an ancient river channel was worked through an adit. The gold containing gravel was well cemented together. Another Gray Eagle mine and mill site, this time a lode gold mine, was located on 13.2 acres of the Mother Lode, just south of Kelsey.

In 1931, the Great Bend Corporation, based in Lotus, mined gold-bearing gravels along the South Fork of the American River, north of Lotus with a gasoline powered shovel.

The Great Crevis placer mine was located on 57.60 acres of land on the Middle Fork of the American River, two miles north of Cool. It later became the site of the Pacific Portland Cement Company’s Mountain Quarry. The site was acquired by the government as a part of the Auburn Dam land.

The Great Eastern and Folsom placer mine was located on 228.14 acres one and one-half miles south of Placerville, on the north side of Weber Creek.

The Green claim was a chromite mine two miles southeast of Georgetown. It was active in 1918 when 17 tons of 51 percent chromite ore was produced. The chromite pods were developed by a 15-foot shaft and drifts.

One and one-half miles south of Volcanoville, near Otter Creek (east of Georgetown) was the Green mine. A chromite mine originally worked for gold, it was active in 1917-18 when more than 110 tons of chromite was produced and again in 1942 when 64 tons was produced. The deposit consisted of a chromite lens up to 7 feet wide and was developed by a 350-foot adit, 40-foot shaft, along with many raises and crosscuts.

The Greenhorn Dredging Company, from Auburn, operated a two cubic yard dragline dredge on the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River near Youngs (on Mt. Aukum Road, between Pleasant Valley and Somerset) from 1940-42. In 1947 they would move the dredge to the Barkley property.

The Green Mountain mine was a placer gold drift mine on the south side of Texas Hill, two and one-half miles southeast of Placerville. The Green Mountain channel, a tributary of the Tertiary South Fork of the American River was mined through a 1700-foot adit.

The Green Valley lode gold mine was located on 16.08 acres two miles west of Rescue.

At the town of Greenwood was a lode gold mine appropriately known as the Greenwood Mine. Intermittently active from 1937 – 40, it was a deposit of gold in quartz veins over an area some 200-feet in width. The ore was mined by the open pit method and then run through a ball mill (a rotating cylindrical mill containing large steel balls) and then processed by cyanidization. Other lode gold mines also with the name Greenwood were to the west and northwest of this one.

The Grey’s Flat placer and lode gold mine was located one mile south of Rescue.

One of the larger lode gold mines on the Mother Lode was the Griffith Consolidated, composed of eight claims (41.31 acres) located one-half mile south of Diamond Springs. Originally worked in the 1850s, it was actively worked from 1888-90 and in 1896 and 1903. The deposit was a five to 12-foot vein of gold bearing quartz nearly a mile in length that yielded from $4.25 to $8 per ton, although in a few areas it yielded as much as $65 per ton. It was developed by three shafts, 700, 253 and 150-feet in depth and numerous drifts. The ore, once removed, was treated in a five-stamp mill.

The Grit (Liddicoat, Spanish Dry Diggings) mine was located at Spanish Dry Diggings, four miles north of Greenwood, on the north end of the west branch of the Mother Lode. This mine was highly productive around 1852 and between 1860 and 1867, yielding $100,000 in gold. In August of 1865 a mass of crystallized gold weighing 101.4 Troy ounces was found on the property. It is called the Fricot “nugget” and was sent to France for the Paris Exposition in 1878. It is presently on display at the California State Mining and Mineral Museum at the county fairgrounds in Mariposa, CA. It is the largest remaining intact mass of crystalline gold from 19th century California.
From 1919 – 1922 the mine was active again, increasing the total value of gold recovered to $300,000. From 1945 – 52 an additional $34,000 was produced. In the early days of mining, the upper 125 – 150 feet of the deposit, which consists of three seams of gold bearing quartz, up to 20 feet wide, was decomposed enough to be mined by hydraulicking. The yield from this operation was from $2 to $3 per cubic yard of worked material. All of the mining since 1945 took place on the west vein which was developed by an 800-foot southeast drift adit. About 400 feet in from the adit portal, crosscuts were driven 70-feet west and 40-feet east. About 275 feet in from the adit portal the mine was stoped (mined upward, using gravity to drop the ore downward) for a distance of about 125 feet until the hydraulicked pit was reached. At the mill, the ore was crushed and milled and then concentrated. Concentrates were sold to the Empire-Star gold mine at Grass Valley.

The Griggs Ranch placer mine was located one-half mile southeast of Placerville.

The Grizzly Flat Deposit was a tungsten mine on Sturdevant Ridge three miles northwest of Grizzly Flat. The deposit, which was in three separate ownerships, was discovered about 1950 and consisted of discontinuous bodies of scheelite (a tungsten ore) in a zone about one mile long and up to 600 feet wide. There is no record of production from this deposit although in the mid-1950s one of the owners, the Sciaroni brothers (Americo and Columbus) were concentrating small amounts of ore a small pilot mill and stockpiling the concentrates.

The Grizzly Flat mine was a drift and hydraulic mine at Grizzly Flat, It was active in the 1880s, 1896 and 1914-20, when a ancient river channel on bedrock was first worked by hydraulicking and later by a 550-foot drift.

The Grizzly Gulch placer mine was located in Grizzly Gulch, a small tributary of Spanish Creek, about two miles northeast of Mt. Aukum.

The Gross Consolidated and Van Hooker and Gross lode gold mine was located on the Mother Lode, one mile north of Placerville. It consisted of mining operations at three locations: No. 1, No. 2 and Van Hooker.

The Grouse Gulch mine was a lode gold mine one and one-half miles west of Grizzly Flat. The deposit was a vein of gold bearing quartz in granite that ranged from one-half to five feet in width. It was developed by 100, 80 and 50-foot shafts, many drifts, and a 200-foot drain tunnel to remove groundwater.

The Grover placer mine was located on 40 acres on or near Spanish Creek, one mile south of Fair Play.

The Guildford (Poverty Point) mine was on the Mother Lode two miles north of Placerville. Another large mine, it was active from 1912-17, when more than $200,000 in gold was produced; intermittently active from 1920-25 and again from 1931-32. Mined were two parallel veins in slate, 200 and 400 feet long, averaging five feet in width. The ore averaged $4 to $5 per ton while the auriferous pyrite concentrate ranged from $40 to $88 per ton. The mine was developed by four drift adits, 500, 600, 700 and 1500 feet long. The mined ore was treated in a 15-stamp mill with Wilfley tables and Frue vanners (concentrators).

The Guadalupe lode gold mine was located on 20.61 acres of the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles north of Kelsey.

The Gutenberger Mine was an iron mine five miles east of Diamond Springs. Not much more than prospecting occurred at this mine, where the iron ore hematite was found.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “H”

The Hall Consolidated was a lode gold mine on 17.56 acres just north of Placerville.

The Halleck mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode just north of Placerville.

The interestingly named Hamburger mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode near Nashville, two miles north of the Amador County line.

The Happy Flat mine was a 100 acre placer mine one-half mile north of Garden Valley.

The Hard Cider mine was a placer claim two miles south of Volcanoville and two miles east of Bottle Hill.

The Hard Scrabble mine was a 135.85 acre placer mine just southeast of Smith Flat.

The Hardscratch mine was a lode gold mine located two miles west of Grizzly Flat. The mine was active around 1896 when a vein of gold bearing quartz was developed by a 120-foot crosscut adit, 100-foot drift and a 26-foot shaft.

The Harmon Group included a number of claims on the Mother Lode in what is now the northern part of the City of Placerville. These included the Van Hooker, Young Harmon, Old Harmon, Gross No. 1 and No. 2 and the Eureka claims. When visited by the District Mining Engineer, C. A. Logan, in the early 1930s most work was being done on the Van Hooker claim, where an old adit was reopened and extended, having a total length of 1200 feet from portal to north face with a vertical depth of 200 feet along the vein. The ore occurs as a stringer lead and lenses of quartz in Mariposa clay slate, both having been greatly crushed by movement along the courses of the vein, which has a width from 2 to 12 feet. Ore was processed by a mill of 10 light stamps and one concentrator with a capacity of 24 tons daily. The ore yielded $7.25 to $27 a ton.
The Old Harmon portion of the workings was 560 feet deep in 1931 and there were plans to reopen it to the 115 feet were ore had been found. This mine, which had been worked between 1870 and 1890 as a part of the True Consolidated Mining and Milling Company’s holdings, had produced considerable gold, some estimates being as high as a quarter of a million dollars. In 1898 both the Old Harmon and Young Harmon passed into the hands of the Placerville Gold Mining Company which had done little with them as of 1931. The vein running through the two Harmon claims averages 15 feet wide and in places is 45 to 70 feet wide.

The Harms Pit, in Coon Hollow one mile south of Placerville, was an aggregate mine. Here, the Harms Brothers Construction Company of Sacramento operated a large, portable rock crushing and sizing plant that reduced the hydraulic mine tailings and andesitic (volcanic) detritus found at this location to a size smaller than three-quarters of an inch. This material was then fed into a portable hot-mix (asphalt) plant, the product of which was used to surface Highway 50 in Placerville.

On what is called the Fairplay channel of ancient gravel, one and one-half miles south of the town of Fair Play, was the Harnish mine. In 1896 the channel, 4 to 5 feet thick, was developed by an adit.

The Harold mine was an undeveloped prospect for soapstone (used in wood stoves and sculpting), four miles from Shingle Springs.

The Harris mine was a placer mine just south of Placerville.

The Harrison mine was a 20.65 acre lode gold claim on the Mother Lode, just north of Placerville.

The Hart mine was a seam gold mine on 40 acres that was located between Manhattan and Empire Creeks, one mile north of Garden Valley. It was originally worked by hydraulicking. Later, it was prospected to determine the feasibility of erecting a mill, and, in 1930, one was erected. The mine operated intermittently until 1939. The average gold recovery of ore mined from this property in the 1930’s was around $4 per ton. The mine was developed by an open pit 175 feet long, 50 feet wide and 40 feet deep; two drift adits and two shafts, 100 and 300 feet in depth. The ore was treated in an 8-stamp mill.

The Havillah Group were a series of lode gold mines on the Mother Lode in Nashville. They are more commonly known as the Nashville mines and will be discussed under that name.

The Hayden mine was a soapstone quarry one and three-quarter miles south of Shingle Springs. The Industrial Minerals and Chemical Company mined soapstone at this location on and off for many years, trucking it to the company’s plant in Florin were it was ground for use in insecticides. The soapstone was quarried from an open cut about 100 feet long and 40 feet wide, with a 20-foot face at the north end (1956 figures).

The Hayward (Indian Diggings) mine was a drift and hydraulic placer gold mine at Indian Diggings. Around 1896 a 275-foot bank with 159 feet of gravel overlying limestone bedrock, was mined.

One of the large lode gold mines which just recently closed was the Hazel Creek mine, located fifteen miles east of Placerville and two miles southeast of Pacific House on Hazel Creek. Mining started in 1948 when the vein of gold bearing quartz was discovered in a logging road cut by one of the tree fallers. Soon afterwards an adit was driven and a mill erected. The deposit consists of principally two parallel veins that are as far apart as 40 feet, but converge near the adit portal (opening). The west vein is 5 to 6 feet wide, the east vein 5 to 12 feet wide and the two are connected by a cross-vein, several feet wide. The ore consists of native gold with considerable amounts of galena (lead ore) and auriferous (gold bearing) pyrite. Large amounts of high-grade ore have been removed from the area where the two principal veins converge and also where the cross-vein and the east vein intersect. By 1956, the mine had been developed by a 500-foot drift adit on the west vein and a 130-foot inclined two-compartment shaft sunk near the adit portal. The 100-foot level, at that time, was connected to the adit level by raises and stopes. The free gold was amalgamated (combined with mercury) and retorted, the resulting “sponge” gold being then sent to a smelter. The sulfides (mostly pyrites) were concentrated by a series of steps and the resultant material, assaying as high as $500 per ton in gold and silver (remember, gold was only $35 per ounce, and silver less than $1 in 1956) was also sent elsewhere for processing. Because of the amount of galena found, lead was also mined at this location.

The Helemar mine was a chromite mine located five miles southwest of Latrobe. It was active during 1944-45 when 57 tons of ore, containing 38 percent chromite, was produced.

The Helen mine was an isolated lode gold claim about six miles east of Garden Valley.

The Henness dredge was a dragline, placer gold mining operation in Garden Valley’s Manhattan Creek during the years 1946-47. The drag line would dig the gravel and drop it into the loading chute of the dredge. The dredge would work the gravel and separate the gold, then dump the tailings (or waste) back into the waterway.
Jerry Henness, who lives in Pollock Pines, recalls his family moving from Whittier to El Dorado County in 1946 when he was six. After his dad, Marion Henness, finished dredging in Garden Valley, he moved the dredge to the American River, where Folsom Lake is now located. From there he became involved in the lumber business, which resulted in his later involvement with the above Hazel Creek Mine.

The Henrietta mine was a lode gold mine on 13.85 acres of the Mother Lode near Weber Creek, one mile south of Placerville.

The Henry Bacon mine was a placer mine consisted of 330 acres on the North Fork of Weber Creek, one-half mile south of Camino.

The Henry Pass mine was a placer mine on 80 acres one mile east of Diamond Springs.

The Henry Waldrick mine was a lode gold claim on 56.27 acres of the Mother Lode north of Kelsey at Spanish Flat.

Two miles southeast of Georgetown was a chromite mine known as the Henser mine. In 1918, 13 tons of chromite was produced from this deposit.

The Herman H. Frers mine was a placer claim on 20 acres one mile west of Rescue.

The Herrick and Co. mine was a very isolated placer mine on 60 acres five miles east of Garden Valley.

The Herzig mine was a placer mine on the South Fork of the American River, about one mile down stream from Lotus. The ranch at this location was owned by the grandparents of Al Herzig, the former Placerville Fire Chief. He did not recall a mine by that name on the property, but did recall that in the late 1930s the entire South Fork of the American River had been commercially dredged all the way up to Coloma.

The Hess mine was a placer mine along Sweetwater Creek near Salmon Falls.

One mile northeast of Indian Diggings (about one mile south of Omo Ranch, nine miles east of Mt. Aukum, in the southern part of El Dorado County) was a lode gold mine known as the Hidden Treasure mine. Little is known about it since it has been idle for many decades.

The High Tunnel mine was a drift mine three miles northeast of Placerville, just north of White Rock Canyon. In the early days of mining and again in 1926, this ancient channel of the South Fork of the American River was mined. It was developed by a 500-ft adit.

The Hill mine was a lode gold mine one-mile south of Gold Hill. It consisted of 12.60 acres and was adjacent to another mine known as the Hill Quartz Mine and Mill Site.

The Hill, Seymour mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, one mile east of Nashville.

The Hillside Extension and Hillside Extension No. 3 were two lode gold mines two and one-half miles southeast of the town of El Dorado. They consisted of nearly 100 acres and were operated together with seven other nearby claims, all of which were on a small branch of the Mother Lode.

The Hill-Top Chrome mine was located one mile southwest of Volcanoville. In 1918, the mine produced 7 tons of chromite ore. It was developed by a 22-foot shaft.

The Hinchman Gold and Silver Mining Co. operated a lode gold mine on “Johnson’s North Canon (canyon), about seven miles east from the city,” according to an article in the March 12, 1864 “Mountain Democrat” reporting on the dedication of their new stamp mill.
This mine does not show up on any of the maps or in any of the books used to prepare this list, but the Democrat story says that “The company have driven a tunnel into the hill about 400 feet and find every indication of richness through its entire length, and believe the rock will yield from $50 to $75 per ton.” Only six months later, on September 17, 1864, the stamp mill burned to the ground. “The fire is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary,” another article in the “Mountain Democrat” stated.
The Hinchman Mining Co. was incorporated in San Francisco on June 1, 1863 and put up for sale 1600 shares of stock at $10 per share. According to the El Dorado County Recorder’s Office, one day later, on June 2, 1863, the company acquired property in El Dorado County from several people, including a Hiram Hinchman. The president of the company was John Gallagher and the secretary N. G. French.

One mile to the northwest of Pleasant Valley was a drift mine called the Hinds (Los Angeles) mine. It was a bench gravel deposit containing placer gold that was discovered in 1927 and active in the early 1930’s. It was developed by a 48-foot shaft and a 200-foot northwest drift.

The Hines-Gilbert mine was on the north end of the western branch of the Mother Lode, one mile northwest of Spanish Dry Diggings on the American River in both El Dorado and Placer counties. Active 1921-28 and 1934, it was again prospected in 1954. The deposit consists of two gold bearing quartz veinlets about 200 feet apart that were developed by an open cut 150 feet in width and a 450-foot adit. The ore, which varied greatly in grade, was treated in a 10-stamp mill which, along with a three-drill compressor, was run by water power from Canyon Creek with a 600 foot fall.

The Hodge and Lemon mine was a seam gold mine at the north end of Quartz Hill, one mile north of Placerville. Mining was done in a 40-foot deep open pit.

Five miles southeast of Latrobe was the Hoff mine. Another chromite mine worked only during World War I, it produced 107 tons of 28% to 33% chromite. The deposit was a chromite lens 60 feet long that was developed by an open cut.

The Holly mine was a small lode gold mine on the Mother Lode in Placerville that was only active in 1918.

The Holmes mine was a placer mine on 79.80 acres one mine north of Georgetown near Georgia Slide.

The Homestake mine was a lode gold mine west of Spanish Dry Diggings and south of the Middle Fork of the American River.

The Homestead Mining Co. operated a 40 acre placer mine three and one-half miles north of Georgetown and one mile northeast of Bottle Hill, near or on Otter Creek. It was active for only a very short time, 1912-13.

A second Homestead mine was a copper mine three miles west of Greenwood. Both copper and gold were removed from a 14-foot vein.

The Hook and Ladder mine was a placer mine just south of Highway 50 and east of Smith Flat.

The Hoosier Gulch dredge was a placer gold mining operation by the Hoosier Gulch Placers Company, using a dragline dredge in Logtown Ravine (south of the townsite of El Dorado) in 1939 and near Shingle Springs in 1945 and 1947.

The Hoosier Gulch Placers Company also operated a dragline dredge near the Pillikin mine, six miles to the southwest of the town of Pilot Hill. Here, during the year 1942, they removed chromite-bearing river gravel from a location known as Granite Bar.

The Hope mine was the southern extension of the Mount Pleasant Mine, one mile west of Grizzly Flat. The Mount Pleasant Mine was the richest lode gold mine in the Grizzly Flat area.

Another Hope mine was a placer gold mine on an ancient river channel northeast of Volcanoville. It was in operation some time prior to 1892.

The Horatio L. Robinson mine was a placer claim on 40 acres just east of Smith Flat.

The Horseshoe Bar mine was a placer mine on 123.88 acres of land on the Rubicon River two miles north of Volcanoville.

The Horseshoe Dredging Company operated a dragline dredge on the North Fork of the Cosumnes River from 1938-40, near Youngs (on Mt. Aukum Road between Pleasant Valley and Somerset).

The Horseshoe Flat mine was a placer gold drift mine two and one-half miles east of Newtown. It has been long idle.

The Hoskins mine was a lode gold mine on the west branch of the Mother Lode, just east of Greenwood.

The Hugh B. Newell mine was a placer mine on 80 acres adjacent to Thompson Hill Road about one-half mile east of Gold Hill.

The Hume mine was a placer mine on or near the South Fork of the American River, one and one-half miles down stream from Lotus.

The Humiston mine was a lode gold claim just north of the Cosumnes River five and one-half miles east of the Sacramento County line

Hummingbird Ranch was the name of a serpentine quarry one mile west of Garden Valley. Serpentine, used as road metal (surfacing material) was mined by the El Dorado County Road Department (now Department of Transportation). The material was excavated by bulldozers and loaded into dump trucks. The quarry was an open cut 200 feet long, 30 feet wide and 10 feet deep.

The Humphrey mine was a lode gold mine two and one-half miles southwest of Fair Play. The deposit consisted of a 16 to 24-inch vein containing pyrite and galena. It was developed by a 15-foot shaft and 70-foot drift.

The Hunt mine was a lode gold mine somewhere between Pilot Hill and Cool.

The Hunton mine was a placer claim two miles east of Volcanoville.

The Hunton and Green mine was a placer mine at the same location. It may have been a consolidation of the Hunton and an unidentified mine known as the Green.

The Hustler mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Hutchinson and Woodburn mine was a placer gold drift mine at Slug Gulch, three miles northeast of the town of Fair Play. It was only active in 1926.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “I”

The Ibid mine was a lode gold mine on 19.43 acres one and one-half miles southwest of Grizzly Flat.

Three miles south of the townsite of El Dorado was a long idle lode gold mine known as the Idaho mine. Nothing more has been reported on it.

The Ida Livingston mine was a lode gold mine on 13.81 acres of the Mother Lode, one mile north of Kelsey. The deposit consisted of a rich, 25-foot gold-bearing quartz vein that yielded up to $26 per ton of ore. It was mined prior to 1914 by way of  a 150-foot shaft.

The Idlewild or Taylor mine was a large, lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles northwest of Garden Valley. Originally worked in 1865, it was active again from the late 1880’s to about 1902. Some additional work was done at the mine during the years 1939-41. The vein of gold bearing quartz averaged 14 feet in width and produced $4 to $8 in gold per ton of ore. The mine was developed by a 1,225-foot inclined shaft with levels every 100 feet. Ore was crushed by a huge 40-stamp mill and the concentrates treated with cyanide. The estimated total output of the mine was one-million dollars.

The Ila was an isolated lode gold claim seven miles due east of Garden Valley.

The Independence mine was a lode gold mine two miles southwest of the townsite of El Dorado. The ore was found in pockets and was mined prior to 1914.

A second Independence mine was a lode gold mine four miles northwest of Slate Mountain and about five miles southeast of Georgetown. It was active in 1933, when the ore was treated in a two-stamp mill.

A third Independence mine was a lode gold mine on 2.19 acres of the Mother Lode one mile north of Placerville.

A fourth Independence mine was a lode gold mine on 18.34 acres of the Mother Lode, one mile northwest of Kelsey.

There were several locations in and around Indian Diggings where crystallized limestone deposits were found. These mines were collectively known at the Indian Diggings mines.

The Indian Creek mine was a placer mine located on 11.20 acres one and one-half miles west of Indian Diggings.

The Indian Creek Hill Hydraulic mine was a placer mine on 25 acres, just east of Gold Hill.

The Indian Diggings Creek placer gold mine was a hydraulic mine on Indian Creek, near the town of Indian Diggings. Consisting of an ancient, gold bearing river gravel channel on limestone bedrock, it was active around 1896. This mine and the Indian Creek mine listed above may be the same mine.

The Indicator mine was a lode gold mine seven miles west of Georgetown and three miles northwest of Greenwood, just south of the Middle Fork of the American River. It was operated together with two other lode gold mines, the SWH and Martha. The three were in a row, totaled 51.162 acres and were isolated from any other lode gold mines.

The Inez (Central) mine was a lode gold mine one mile east of Nashville, near today’s Highway 49 and the Amador County line. A gold-bearing quartz vein in slate, the deposit was actively mined around 1890 by means of a 250-foot shaft.

The Ingram Dredge was a dragline dredge used to work the gold bearing gravel deposit at Horseshoe Bar on the Middle Fork of the American River (Placer County line) in 1940-42.

The Ingrom (Ingram?)mine was a lode gold claim on the Mother Lode two miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Iowa mine was a lode gold mine on the east fork of the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles northeast of Georgetown.

The Iowa Tunnel mine was a placer mine on 60 acres one-half mile west of Newtown, two miles north of Pleasant Valley.

The Ira mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, one-half mile southeast of Placerville.

The Irish Creek mine was a placer mine on 40 acres near Irish Creek, one mile south of Garden Valley.

The Irish Creek Falls mine was a placer mine on 160 acres near Irish Creek, about two miles south of Garden Valley. It surrounded several lode gold mines.

The Irish Creek Mining Company operated a non-floating gravel washing plant on Irish Creek near Georgetown, active in 1940.

The Irish mine was a chromite mine two and one-half miles east of Rescue. In 1918, 18 tons of ore was produced from small chromite pods and stringers that were developed by open cuts.

Two and one-half miles south of Grizzly Flat, at a place called Henry’s Diggings, was the Irish Slide placer gold mine. Here a drift mine was intermittently worked after 1949 in conjunction with two other drift mines, the Payne and Christian. The claim consisted of 20 acres.

The Irland (Ireland) mine was a copper mine three miles west of Placerville. Active in 1866 and 1906 when ore containing 2% copper, along with some gold and silver, was removed. The mine was developed by a 75-foot vertical shaft and an 18-foot drift.

Another copper mine, the Iron Crown (Bob) mine, was located one mile southeast of Georgetown. It was active prior to 1902 and again around 1908. The deposit consisted of a series of copper-bearing veins with slate and serpentine walls. Even the water in the mine was copper-bearing. The mine was developed by a 75-foot shaft and open cuts.

The Isaac Bradwell and P.M. Hong mine was a somewhat isolated lode gold claim on 40 acres one half mile northeast of the town of El Dorado.

The Isaac I. Holmes mine was a placer claim on 40 acres, one mile east of Placerville.

The Isabel (Isabella, Isabell) mine was a lode gold mine on 17.95 acres of the Mother Lode, about one-half mile southeast of Garden Valley. The deposit, a two to eight-foot gold-bearing quartz vein in slate, was developed by open cuts and a 30-foot shaft. The ore was first crushed on site using “arrastres” (picture a horse or mule attached to the end of a pivoted branch which drags a large rock in a circle, crushing ore as it goes in a circle). Later, ore was shipped to the Blue Lead mine’s 20-stamp mill, a short distance away. Another Isabella Mine and Mill site was located one mile west of Garden Valley. Whether the two were associated is unknown.

One-half mile northwest of Garden Valley was a lode gold mine named the Ivanhoe mine. The mine was active prior to 1890 and developed by open cuts and a 200-foot shaft.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article

Mines of El Dorado County: “J” – “K”

The J. A. Mendes mine was a 48.68 acre placer mine one and one-half miles south of cool and west of Highway 49.

The Jacob C. Baughman mine was a 27.85 acre placer claim one mile south of Omo Ranch. It was part of a large group of similar claims in one area.

The James S. Kennedy mine was a 40 acre placer claim three and one-half miles northeast of Placerville.

The James Skinner, Jr. and Alex D. Skinner mine was a 160 acre placer claim two and one half miles west of Rescue, just to the north of Green Valley Road. The James Skinner, Jr. mine was a 140 acre adjacent placer claim. The Skinner winery was located at the intersection of Green Valley Road and Cameron Park Drive. Parts of it remain.

The Jap mine was a 20.34 acre lode gold mine on the west branch of the Mother Lode one-half mile south of Greenwood.

The Jay E. Russell mine was a 67.70 acre placer claim two miles east of Volcanoville.

The Jennings mine was a lode gold mine on 17.23 acres, two miles southeast of Kelsey between Rock Creek Rd. and the South Fork of the American River, just west of Rock Creek.

The Jerome and Guiseppi Tunzi mine was a 40 acre placer claim on Ringgold Creek, two miles east of Diamond Springs.

One and one-quarter miles east of Placerville was a placer gold mine called the Jerusalem mine. It was not much more than a gravel deposit prospected by hydraulicking in 1894.

The Jinkerson and Arditto mine was a drift, placer gold mine at Indian Diggings. Active in 1913-17 and in 1926, it was developed by and adit several hundred feet along an ancient river channel.

The Joerger mine was a chromite mine eight miles west of Shingle Springs. This mine was first worked during World War I, but most of the ore was removed in 1942. The exact tonnage of the removed ore is not known because it was combined with the output of other mines. Estimated ore reserves are 10,000 to 15,000 tons of 5 percent to 8 percent chromite in alternating rich and lean layers. In 1942 an open pit 150 feet long, 15 to 40 feet wide and 25 feet deep, produced ore averaging 8 percent chromite.

The John and James Blair mine was a 160 acre placer claim three miles east of Placerville just west of Chunk Creek. The John Blair mine was a placer claim adjacent to the south boundary of the City of Placerville as it existed in 1938. There was another James Blair claim of 160 acres on the north fork of Weber Creek, one and one-half miles south of Camino.

The John A. Holden mine was a 35 acre placer claim one and one-half miles east of Latrobe.

The John C. Andreason mine was a 160 acre placer claim one mile south of Indian Diggings.

The John C. Berry mines were a series of placer claims consisting of 160 acres all in the vicinity of Garden Valley.

The John H. Ferretta mine was a 60 acre placer claim one-half mile west of Newtown.

The John S. McClellan mine was a 160 acre placer claim on Camp Creek, two and one-half miles east of Pleasant Valley.

The John Steely mine was a placer claim on 80 acres adjacent to the Mother Lode, one-half mile north of Placerville.

The John W. Rupley mine was a 40 acre placer claim one mile east of Smith Flat.

The Johnson mine was a placer mine two miles northwest of Lotus near the South Fork of the American River.

The Jones (Good Luck) mine was a lode gold mine two miles south of Diamond Springs. it was active in 1915 and during 1922-23 when several thousand dollars of gold was produced. The deposit was developed by a shaft with levels at 75, 165 and 225 feet and several drifts.

Five miles northwest of Georgetown, at Jones Hill, was the Jones Hill placer mine. A gravel channel eight feet thick and 200 feet wide, over slate bedrock, was hydraulicked around 1892 and again in 1907.

The Joseph Immer mine was a 30 acre placer mine two miles northwest of Lotus and north of Highway 49.

The Joseph Skinner (Fisk, Porphyry) mine was a seam gold mine on the Mother Lode, one mile north of Placerville. It was active 1896-98, 1901-03 and around 1932, with a total output of nearly $100,000. Consisting of thin quartz seams and small quartz bunches it was originally worked by hydraulicking and later by a crosscut 90 feet deep at the face, running west 232 feet, with drifts. Most of the gold was specimen gold, taken from pockets and kept intact, although small lots were milled.

The Joseph Snow and Co. mine was a placer mine consisting of 160 acres on the North Fork of Weber Creek, one mile south of Camino. This should not be confused with the nearby Snow Consolidated placer mine that is still in operation as rock quarry.

The Josephine mine was located at the town of Volcanoville. It was a six-foot vein of lode gold in slate and serpentine developed by five drift adits, actively mined in 1889-90, 1896, 1920, and 1934-35. The ore was treated in a 20-stamp mill.

There was also a Josephine placer mine on 43.54 acres of land near Volcanoville.

The Josh Billings mine was a lode gold mine on 20.43 acres of the west branch of the Mother Lode one and one-half miles northwest of Garden Valley.

The Juckes placer mine was located on 40 acres, two and one-half miles south of Latrobe on the Cosumnes River.

The Julia Beard mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two and one-half miles south of the town of El Dorado.

The Kates (Norris) mine was a placer gold mine located one and one-half miles east of Volcanoville. It was active prior to 1894 and again in 1896, when it was prospected by the Two Channel Mining Company, a company involved in a number of placer gold mines. This ancient river gravel deposit was originally hydraulicked and later developed by a 250-foot bedrock adit and several drifts. The cemented gravel was treated in a stamp mill.

The Katherine mine was a lode gold claim on the Mother Lode, two miles south of Diamond Springs.

The Keegan mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode in the City of Placerville.

The Kelly mine was a chromite mine active around 1918. It was located just east of Rattlesnake Bridge and, during World War I, 25 tons of ore was produced, containing 28 percent chromite. Like many other early mines in the area, it is now under Folsom Lake.

Another Kelly mine was an early lode gold mine, located on the Mother Lode just east of the town of Kelsey. It was later renamed the Dalmatia. Numerous quartz seams and a quartz vein were found in a zone that varied in width from 20 to 50-feet, which were worked in the 1880’s, 1890-94 and again around 1935. A two-foot vein assayed at $16 per ton, a single pocket yielded $14,000 and the seams yielded around $2 to $3 per ton. The mine was originally worked in an open cut some 500 feet long and later was developed by a 200-foot inclined shaft and a 1200-foot adit. The ore was treated on site in a 10-stamp mill.

A third Kelly mine was a lode gold mine located on the Mother Lode one-half mile north of Kelsey. On the Kelly Ranch and owned by Miss Margaret Kelley, the deposit consisted of a six-foot wide vein of gold bearing quartz in Mariposa slate. It was active around 1902 and 1932 and developed by two 50-foot shafts, 150 feet apart.

The Kelsey Gold and Silver (Lady) mine was a lode gold mine on 41.67 acres of the Mother Lode about one mile south of Kelsey. Originally worked prior to 1915, it was reopened in 1926 and a mill erected that year when the Kelsey Mining Company was formed. The Kelsey Mining Company operated it until 1931, when it again closed. In 1934 the mine was reopened and operated until 1941. The ore, which was found in narrow bands of quartz, contained free gold, pyrite and some galena (lead ore). During the years 1928-1931 15,000 tons of ore was crushed that yielded from $1.80 to $6.40 per ton. It was developed by a main 1700-foot north drift adit and a 700-foot north drift adit about 300 feet above the main adit. These two adits were connected by a raise and there were several crosscuts. There was also a 42-foot shaft near the main adit portal (opening). Originally the ore was treated in a ten-stamp mill, which was later replaced by a Telsmith gyratory crusher and an Aurora jaw crusher. About 40 tons of ore per day were processed at the mine.

The Kenna mine was a placer gold mine one mile northeast of Kentucky Flat, several miles east of Georgetown and about two miles east of Volcanoville. It was active up until 1896 when it was operated by the Two Channel Mining Company. Some additional work was done as late as 1922. The two gold bearing gravel channels were worked by different means, the Main or White channel was hydraulicked and the Blue channel developed by a 1500-foot adit. The coarse gold was held in well cemented gravel that was treated in a 10-stamp mill.

The Kennebec Bar mine was a placer mine on the Middle Fork of the American River about two miles northeast of the town of Cool.

The Kentucky Flat mine was located at Kentucky Flat, about two miles southeast of Volcanoville. It was later known as the Kentucky Flat Consolidated placer mine and consisted of 674.30 acres on two different ancient riverbed channels. The mine was active in 1894-1902 and again in 1933. It was another mine operated by the aptly named Two Channel Mining Company. As with the Kenna Mine, the Main or White channel was hydraulicked – this time in a pit with a 25-foot bank – and the Blue channel developed by a 625-foot adit and an 80-foot shaft.

The Keystone mine was a lode gold mine on 8.63 acres of the Mother Lode about one-half mine northwest of Placerville.

Near Georgetown, during the years 1947 and 1948, the Knight Placer Mining Company operated a dragline dredge to remove placer gold from various gravel deposits.

Three miles northeast to Georgetown on Little Bald Mountain was a chromite mine known as the Knoff (Austin) mine. The mine was active twice: in 1918 when 400 tons of ore were mined and again in 1942-44 when 79 tons were mined. The deposit consisted of pods and lenses of chromite in sheared serpentine that was developed by open cuts and shallow shafts.

The Kumfa or Kum Fa mine was a placer gold drift mine at Smith Flat. It was Active from 1911-13 and also in 1928 and 1936. The ancient river gravel deposit was developed by a 631-foot inclined shaft. It was worked in conjunction with the nearby Carpender mine.

Previous ArticleIndexNext Article